About SDHQ |
Learning to Dive |
Dive Centers |
The PADI Assistant Instructor Course
The PADI Assistant Instructor course is designed to provide PADI Divemasters
and those certified to leadership levels with other diver training organizations
with additional training as instructional assistants and dive educators. This
course builds upon the divemaster's abilities to organize and supervise dive
activities while concentrating on developing teaching skills. Through independent
study, classroom sessions and practical application, candidates learn to construct
effective teaching presentations and conduct PADI programs.
The PADI Assistant Instructor course goals are to:
- Further develop the candidate's skills as an instructional assistant.
- Provide the candidate with practical experience in teaching academic
portions of various PADI courses.
- Provide the candidate with practical experience in conducting skill
development sessions for the PADI Skin Diver and Peak Performance Buoyancy
Specialty Diver courses.
- Provide the candidate with practical experience in conducting open water
training dives for the PADI Skin Diver and Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty
- Provide the candidate with practical experience in conducting PADI Discover
and Experience programs.
- Familiarize the candidate with PADI Standards, administrative requirements and
certification procedures used in conducting PADI courses.
- Familiarize the candidate with the structure of the dive industry and provide
basic marketing ideas, sales philosophy, and legal responsibility and risk
- Prepare the candidate for PADI Instructor training.
Duties of the PADI Assistant Instructor
Beyond the responsibilities and duties they already have as PADI Divemasters,
certified Assistant Instructors (who are in Teaching status and meet insurance
requirements) are authorized to:
- Present the academic elaboration for any PADI diver course under the indirect
supervision of a PADI Instructor.
- Teach and certify PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Divers under the
direction of a PADI Instructor.
3)Independently conduct the Discover Scuba (pool only) experience.
- Teach and certify students in PADI Medic First Aid after successful
completion of a PADI Medic First Aid Instructor course.
- Teach and certify students in a non-diving specialty, such as Equipment
Specialist or distinctive oxygen administration, after successful completion of a
Specialty Instructor Training course for that specialty.
- Be certified as a PADI Divemaster of leadership level with another recreational
diver training organization.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement for a diving medical examination
conducted within the past 12 months.
- Have completed and logged at least 60 dives.
- successfully complete a knowledge and skill reassessment.
- If not a PADI Divemaster, successfully complete the PADI Divemaster course
diver rescue skills assessment.
We offer two course fee options for the PADI Assistant
Instructor course. One option simply covers administrative and instructional
costs and does not include any materials. The second option includes all of
the required materials for certification as a PADI Assistant Instructor, including:
PADI Instructor Manual; Confined Water Cue Cards; Openwater Cue Cards; The
Best of the Undersea Journal; Lesson preparation slate (pool); Lesson
preparation slate (openwater); Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty course
outline;The Business of Diving; and The Law and the Diving Professional;
and PADI Assistant Instructor Workbook.
For more information contact us via email